This morning the house was at 65 degrees, so I wanted something warm and comforting for breakfast.These muffins turned out very nice especially complimented with my cup of hot coffee. I made mine with1/2 cup honey and they were not very sweet… Drizzling honey on top fixed that, however! (I therefore amended my notes to recommend 3/4 cup below.)
Honey can be substituted for sugar in almost any recipe and is better for you!
- 1/4 cup milled flax seed
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apples (small pieces)
- 3 tbsp oil (grape seed or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Blend dry ingredients
- In separate bowl combine wet ingredients
- Add dry and wet ingredients together
- Fold in apples and nuts (batter will be thick)
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter and honey
Should yield a dozen muffins.
Try the recipe out and let us know what your think by posting your comments here, Facebook, Pintrest, Twitter, or Instragram! Always interested to hear how you might modify this recipe to create a different twist.
Happy healthy eating and keep on constantly crafting!